Wednesday, February 13, 2013

iPad cover made from a fabric covered text book



 When I got my iPad, I started looking for a unique and visually appealing cover.  I found a great one on Etsy (here), but didn't want to pay the price.  So, I decided to see if I could make my own version.  I was able to find the same yellow bird fabric and already had grey fabric, white ribbon, and white elastic.  I also found an old text book from college - analytical chemistry, and bought some spray adhesive and got out my glue gun.  Here is the text book and the iPad before I started.


I cut the binding along the spine so I could remove the pages while leaving the cover in tact.  I ended up covering most of it in paper using spray adhesive since the cover was dark and showed through the fabric.  Then, I covered the outside, much like you would do with a paper book cover and attached it using spray adhesive.  I used spray adhesive to add the grey fabric to the spine and hot glued the ribbon on to cover the unfinished edge where it meets the yellow.  I used a separate sheet of fabric for the inside and just tucked the edges under and tacked them with hot glue.  I cut another piece of cardboard for the part underneath the iPad and covered it with a layer of batting, and then a layer of white fabric.  I hot glued the elastic to the back of the cardboard and then hot glued the whole thing to the inside of the book cover.  Finally, I cut a strip off of an old fridge magnet and glued it on the cover in the area where it wakes up and puts to sleep the iPad.  You can see it in action in the video below (which of course I recorded sideways so it looks funny, but you get the idea).  Here is the final product.





1 comment:

  1. I love this! A bird iPad cover on early bird crafts! Great job friend. The yellow is so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete