Saturday, January 22, 2011

Andrea Bag - Messenger Style

Back in October/November I attempted to modify the Andrea Bag below into a messenger style bag.

Several people had suggested this and I really wanted a bag that was big enough to put a folder or pad of paper in for when I go to conferences or at work, etc.  So, I enlarged the bag and changed from 2 straps in front and back to one side-to-side strap.

Just looking at it like this, I am fairly pleased with it.  I love the fabric on the inside and the belt/bow.  But, when I started using it I realized that I really was not happy with it.  I think moving the handle to the side made it lose some of it's shape.  It is too flat across the top.  But even worse, I made it too wide but not deep enough, so it still doesn't really hold papers or folders very well, and it is so wide that I fell like my things might just fall out.  Also, you might be able to see in the bottom picture, that by placing the handle on the sides, it pulls the two sides together when you actually use it and the top bunches up because of that.

Overall, I am considering this a good design learning experience.  I eventually want to take a second attempt at this and will probably go back to the original handle style, but just make it a little bigger.  I might also consider going with the side strap but changing the shape so that the top naturally is narrower to avoid the bunching that it does now.  Oh, and I'll use a sturdier interfacing.  This bag just feels flimsy.  Hopefully I'll have better luck next time!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Owen's car quilt (sneak peek)

I know it has been a long time since I have blogged.  I have been crafting, but I've been lazy about posting...well mostly taking pictures.  For some reason, that can seem like the hardest part sometimes.  Well, anyway, this is a sneak peek at my current project and I'll post some of the other projects I have completed (or at least started) in the last couple of months soon.

These are the first two blocks for a quilt I am making for my friend Jenni's new baby boy Owen!

I have 6 different flannel prints from the same line, and am mixing them with 3 different solids to make 12 blocks.  From each flannel print, I plan to reverse applique it onto the solid and then use the cut out portion to applique onto the solid block.

Here is the reverse applique block.  Actually, I don't know if that is a real thing, but that is what I am calling it.  I decided to cut the shape out of the block to show the fabric beneath instead of the usual method of applique where you sew a shape onto the background.  I stitched around the outside of the shape and plan to leave the edges raw to add texture.  I think it will look better when washed.

Here is the regular applique block.  I think I like the contrast of the fuzzy flannel block with raw edges and the smooth cotton block with the clean, finished look of the traditional applique. Opposites!

And here are the rest of the fabrics...soon to become blocks.  I can't wait to get this done and give it to tiny, cute, precious Owen! I meant to get it done before he was born, but it just didn't happen.