I'm working on a quilt for my sister. This is the fabric. There is one more dark teal fabric that I added after I took the picture.
I've been debating for a while about what layout to use. She said she is interested in geometric shapes, color, and wants it to be somewhat non-traditional. I decided on the layout below as a rough design. I just drew it out several times on graph paper until I liked how it looked and then tried to recreate it in excel. Each block will be unique. I've been starting with a selection of the fabrics and then going from there. No real plan. In some ways it is easier, but it is is also kind of hard because I sit there and stare and try to figure out what to do next. I had also thought I would make the blocks kind of wonky, but I haven't been very successful at breaking out of my measuring and squaring routine. I'll have to make an effort to be more carefree in my piecing. I was hoping to have it done in time to give to her for Christmas, but I've only gotten 3 blocks done in the two days I've had off this week, so that isn't going to happen. But, at least I'll have made some progress! I'll update with some pictures of the blocks done so far later.